My inspirations throughout this semester came from me wanting to express my views on society, as well as expressing myself and love for different things (baseball, self, ocean, etc.). I made my art the way I did because I felt like different medias worked for different things. It also allowed me to try out new techniques as well. The tools, materials, and techniques I used to create my artwork are tempera paint, chalk pastels, charcoal, acrylic paint, cardboard, paper, sewing pins, paint brushes, plastic spoons, silk, glue, spray paint, clay, yarn, and water color pencil. To me my art is everything. Ever since I quit dancing art has been an outlet for me. It gave me a way to relieve pent up anger. As well as get my views and points across to others.
My most successful project this semester was "Different but Alike". With this project I focused a lot on social issues and the things people say to others whether positive or negative. With this project I sent out two surveys one with positive words and another with negative words. From there I counted up the total for each word and then I went out and brought sewing pins to stick on the board. To execute my vision I went around my class and asked my classmates to trace their hands. From there I transferred there hands onto two pieces of white paper that I taped together. Next I cut out a piece of cardboard that was the same size as the paper. Then I hot glued the paper to the cardboard. Once all that was done I used tempera paint to the hands. I decided to do different shades to show diversity. I decided to type up each word and glue them to the board. Finally I stuck the pins in each word based off the totals I got when I tallied everything up. This project was successful because I was bale to do everything I imagined without any obstacles. The project came out the way I embodied it to be.
Taking risks and challenging myself this semester made me a better artist by forcing me to go outside my comfort zone. One project that I took a lot of risks with was "Getting to Know Shekinah". It was risky because I've never done a self portrait or project period that caused me to do weaving. It was risky because it was hard replacing facial features with objects and things I like. I also had to make sure I didn't use color where it was suppose to be black, white, or gray. Another thing that was risky was drawing the object without drawing the full thing. I also had to make sure everything was aligned with where it was suppose to be. Another project I took a risk with was "The Branches of Love". I took risk with this project because I never used clay before, so I didn't know what I was doing. With this project I wanted the flower to look like an add on. Creating the flower was a challenge because I never used clay before so I didn't know how to work with it at first. In the end I got the image I envisioned.
A media I enjoyed working with this semester was chalk pastels. Chalk pastels is a media the blends very easily. They are soft and come in a variety of colors. chalk pastels are great for creating anything whether it be a self portrait or just something random. I like this media because it made my projects easy when it came to blending colors together to get different shades and tents. One project I created with chalk pastels was "Getting to Know Shekinah". This project didn't have much color, but the color I did have was filled in with chalk pastels. The second project I did with chalk pastels was "Make it POP". This project focused on blues and reds. With this project I did a lot of blending to get different shades and tents of blue and red. I went more towards the lighter side of colors because I really wanted things to stand out.