My inspirations throughout the semester were my love for nature and the love I have for myself. I made my art the way I did because I felt like it was easier to express myself. It gave me a way to say what I couldn't say in words. I also felt like it gave people a better understanding of who I am. I used a variety of tools/materials, such as, graphite, acrylic paint, tempera paint, ink, paint brushes, straw, spray paint, cardboard, tissue paper, pipe cleaners, leaves, water bottles, paper cups, and soft pastels. To me my art is a way to express how I see society. For example my artwork of the beaches/island expresses tranquility. The beach brings a calm relaxed feeling especially at night. The artwork with my name and initials express the frustration i get when people spell and pronounce my name wrong.
My most successful project this semester was " sailing through the night". To create this piece I gathered three different pictures and picked out something I liked about each one. Then I sketched out the image I had in my mind. Once I sketched out the image I transferred it to my final draft paper. Next I picked out colors that I saw best fit for my painting. I chose a lot of cool colors and tents. Once my picture was painted and dried I covered my whole painting in black ink. When i finished covering it in black ink I took the painting to the sink and washed off all the black ink. This project was successful for me because all the colors contrasted with each other perfectly. The image I had in my head was executed the way that I saw it.
A project that I overcame obstacles in was "Flowers Galore". One obstacle I came across was the creation of the flowers. Originally I wanted to make the flowers out of construction paper. I kid you not that was a hard and stressful process. The flowers did not come out the way I wanted them to. Instead of using construction paper I went with a technique I already knew how to do. I used tissue paper to create my flowers. The second obstacle I came across was I didn't know how to make the vase for the flowers. The hardest part was getting the correct size vase for the flowers. I had made three vases before I got the right one. The next problem was figuring out how to decorate the vase. Then my teacher suggested I spray paint the vase and a classmate suggested I make splatters.
The media I enjoyed working with this semester is soft pastel. Although fun and easy to use it can be messy. If you don't like getting dirty I wouldn't recommend using this. Over all soft pastels blend very easily and makes the image come out very bright and vibrant. You blend the colors with your finger so when you go to use another color make sure you clean your hands. I liked it because I found the technique to be fun and easy. I loved the way my images came out. I like it because it gave my pieces a soft, smooth,calming vibe to it.
My most successful print was soft-kut print. To do this print I took a soft-kut block and carved my name into it. (Have to carve the letters backwards and put the end of the word first). Then I put ink on the bench hook. Next I took the brayer and spread the ink out and rolled some ink onto the soft-kut. Following that i took a piece of paper and placed it on the soft-kut. Lastly I used my hand to spread the ink out and took the paper off. This print technique was successful for me because the image I wanted to create came out really clear. I used the right amount of ink.
The print I would change if I could would be "Initials" To create this piece I had to put ink onto the bench hook. Then I used the brayer to spread the paint out. Next I used a wooden stick to carve my initials into the ink. (Have to carve the letters Backwards). After that I placed a piece of paper on the ink then I used the baren to make sure the ink and the design got onto the paper. The thing I would change about this print is the amount of ink I used and the carving material I used.
A printing technique that I enjoyed working with the most was Screenprinting. To create this print I took a piece of paper and designed an image. Next I took the scissors and cut out my design. Once I had my design I taped the stencil to the back of the screen. Then i placed the screen on top of a piece of paper. Following that I put ink above the stencil and used something with a straight edge to drag the paint down to spread the paint out. Once the paint was where I wanted it I picked the screen up and I had my image. I liked this process because it actually allowed me to experience the process many people go through to make the shirts we wear.